MAS Medium Hardener, Non-Blush Formula
MAS 2:1 Non-Blushing Medium Epoxy Hardener is designed for use with both MAS Low-Viscosity Epoxy Resin and MAS FLAG Medium Viscosity Epoxy Resin and can be applied in a wide range of conditions where increased cure and working time is desired.
Moderate pot life, gel, and thin film set times provide are excellent for filleting and fairing.
Using MAS Epoxy Resin & Medium Hardener mixed with a thickener, gels and sets quickly enough to avoid draining and sagging while still allowing ample flow time for controlled application periods. We recommend MAS Medium Hardener when "overnight" sandibility is more important than continuous laminating and open time (as provided by MAS Slow Hardener).
MAS Medium will also provide a beautifully smooth, void free finish with great resistance to milking out during application and fogging in critical clear coating applications. MAS Medium's cure speed may be adjusted by the addition of MAS Fast or MAS Slow hardeners. The 2:1 mix ratio of resin:hardener should be maintained, regardless of hardener blend.
Cures blush free and eliminates the need for time consuming wash downs during on-going laminations and repetitive build coats.
Features & Benefits:
- 15 minute pot-life @ 70°F
- 3 hour working time @ 70°F
- Non-blushing formula eliminates the need for time consuming wash downs
- Smooth finishes in resultant cured films
- Excellent osmotic (moisture) resistance
- Will cure under high humidity conditions
- Highly recommended for use when coating or laminating large surfaces
- Great for use with MAS Low-Viscosity Epoxy Resin for fast wet-out of reinforcing fabrics
- Available in pint, quarts and half-gallons
- Gel, and thin film set times provide are excellent for filleting and fairing
- Recommend when "overnight" sandibility is more important than continuous laminating and open time
When simply coating, sealing or saturating wood with epoxy, do not add thickening powders.
For filling & fairing applications, consider MAS Flag Medium Epoxy Resin.
It is important to mix epoxy and hardener thoroughly before adding thickener.
Often two fillers used in conjunction are more effective than any single filler used alone; this can be attributed to the synergistic effects found when two different particle sizes are blended together.
When filling gaps or making a fillet (pronounced "fill-its") add sufficient wood flour to make a peanut butter consistency.
Colloidal Silica (aka Cab-O-Sil) and other white fillers may be added to make the wood flour paste match the color of the plywood exactly. Adding some Phenolic Micro Balloons or Colloidal Silica (no more than 30 percent by volume) has the added benefit of making wood flour fillets smoother and easier to spread.
When using epoxy as an adhesive (i.e., bonding wood to wood), add enough silica powder to the resin-hardener mix to bring it to the consistency of mayonnaise or jam.